Pages

Friday, 30 September 2016

Questions: Year Ones

Greetings,

Tonight, you all viewed the movie, "The Ultimate Gift". Many themes came out from that movie. Lets now look at some guided questions:

  1. If you were Jason, the lead character in the movie, would you be willing to go to the lengths that he was forced to endure to receive the inheritance. If yes, why. If no, why.
  2. The movie is replete with vices and virtues, name a few.
  3. The title of the movie is, "The Ultimate Gift". What, in your opinion is the gift and the lesson. 
  4. What life lessons can you relate with in this movie, either from personal experience, or people that you know.
Bless

4 comments:

  1. 1. Had I been in Jason's position I would have had two minds about going to the lengths that he did. I would have been questioning myself if it is worth it but I would have endured because I would want to get the inheritance; to know what it was and why my grandfather would take the time to plan out this experience. There must be a bigger reason than just his fortune.


    2. To name a few:

    Vice- immoral or wicked behavior; a bad habit
    Vices in the movie: Covetousness, aggression, selfishness, arrogance, narcissism, greed, jealousy.

    Virtue - Behavior showing high moral standards
    Virtues in the movie: courage, charity, visionary, love, faith, hope, humility


    3. In my opinion, the ultimate gift was the gift of appreciation for the twelve gifts he received; a blueprint to a meaningful life. The twelve gifts being the gift of work, money, love, friends, laughter, family, giving, problems, learning, dreams, gratitude and a day.

    4. Often we take the simple things in life for granted. We search for happiness in our socioeconomic status, in power and material things which always leave us feeling disappointed and unfulfilled.

    At a point in my life I would have been like Jason (selfish, aggressive and self-centered) and I didn't care about anything but making money and buying fancy phones and hanging out with my friends but then I started to feel like my life wasn't going anywhere, I began questioning myself "there must be more to life than this, what is it?" I had gotten so depressed and angry because I had everything I wanted but I still wasn't happy; I wanted more. Then I received some advice from an older friend of mine, she encouraged me to pray about my situation, of course at that age I thought to myself that praying wasn't going to help me but things had gotten so bad that I decided to give it a try. I did and I began getting a sense of relief, its kind of difficult to explain but I started to feel like the weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I began going to church again and doing fulfilling things with my life; I had to take an inward look at myself and the person that I was becoming and I decided that this was the change that I needed to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was placed in the lead character's position I would have been willing endure the long and tedious process in order to receive the inheritance. While persons love to wear and own beautiful,precious gold it is necessary for the raw material to endure very harsh treatment so as to extract the gold. Therefore, it is through experiences in life and choices made we grow from strength to strength and learn a lot about ourselves and the individuals around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Oh yes. Given Jason's status at the time and probably his thought process, surely I would have known my Grand father's worth and the relationship we shared..So my mind would have been fixed on the possible reward(s) at the end of my trials.

    2.Vices - Greed,selfishness, arrogance, avarice, covetousness
    Virtue - Kindness, courageous, sympathy, cheerful, loving

    3. The gift to me was the gift of receiving. The lesson was how to earn, manage and appreciate that gift. When lesson is learnt you'll have a cheerful giver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would also be willing to endure lessons to gain the inheritance, especially when realizing how hard it is to work for money and given the lavish lifestyle I would have been accustomed to.
    As for the vices, some were greed, selfishness, lust, pride, indifference.
    Virtues observed were prudence, hope, faith and love.
    Personally, I find the ultimate gift is love which is really giving, you can give not only love, but affection, charity, service, time, blood and self sacrifice, giving others needs higher preference than your own.

    In terms of life lessons that I could relate to, probably feeling hopeless sometimes, and just giving up, not really knowing the truth of life because I am guilty of desiring material wealth, but it's also because I am not wealthy and influences. I believe you have to experience the opposite of what you truly desire. Without poverty you wouldn't know what abundance feels like, or joy without sadness. It's how you learn, to change to grow and progress and become better continuously.

    ReplyDelete